Monday, June 15, 2020

CONFESSION

I am a child of the 60's, 70s, and 80s. I am a part of Generation X. I missed the hippy culture of the 60's by a couple of decades. I did however experience the 70s and 80s. 

As I grew up I was never exposed to much diversity. I attended a private Lutheran school, which I don't believe we had much diversity in it. The neighborhoods I grew up in were all caucasian if I remember correctly. I didn't have many friends but the ones I did have were also caucasion. My exposure to people of color was limited to what I saw on TV or while out with my parents. I was never told that people who were different then me were any less then me. I never looked down at a person of color.

Later in my teenage years we moved to LaSalle, Colorado and it's predominant hispanic community. I began to hear the words that were used to disparage those of hispanic culture. "Spic", "Wetback" and "Beaner", were said freely in social gatherings and even in school. I never heard the word "nigger" until I had left home and was in the military. 

Even after I had left home for the military, did I really think about people of color as "people of color". They were just people, humans. Something changed though. I won't say that I had become racist to the point we are seeing today. I found myself falling into the part of the gay community that would only date, have sex with, or socialize with someone of their own "race". I honestly didn't even realize it had happened until now. I would say things like, "I don't like black guys because chocolate makes me break out." I simply wasn't attracted to them sexually, or even non-sexually. I am not sure why. It just wasn't something I liked.

As I got older and wiser I began to see men of color as more then just the shade of their skin. I began to see beauty, thanks to RuPaul, Gary Dourdan, and others. I got to know men of hispanic decent and I got to see them for their culture. I am proud to call many men of various "races" my friends. From the darkest to the lightest shades of skin. We are all still HUMAN.


No comments:

Post a Comment